Summer’s Top 5 Sustainable Food Books
As summer draws to an end, Roots of Change (ROC) wanted to know what were this summer’s top five sustainable food books to read.&nbs p; In a recent Facebook poll, ROC asked its followers to vote and tell us which books made their summer list. Below are the results.
1. Tomatoland by Barry Estabrook
Tomatoland traces the supermarket tomato from its birthplace in the deserts of Peru to the impoverished town of Immokalee, Florida, also known as the tomato capital of the United States.
2. American Wasteland: How America Throws Away Nearly Half of Its Food by Jonathan Bloom
American Wasteland chronicles how we waste food from farm to fork and examines the impact of our wastefulness. With an upbeat tone, the book offers suggestions on how we – as a nation and as individuals – can trim our waste.
3. Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food by Paul Greenberg
In Four Fish, award-winning writer and lifelong fisherman Paul Greenberg takes us on a culinary journey, exploring the history of the fish that dominate our menus–salmon, sea bass, cod and tuna–and examining where each stands at this critical moment in time.
4. Chasing Chiles: Hot Spots Along the Pepper Trail by Kurt Michael Friese, Kraig Kraft and Gary Paul Nabhan
Chasing Chiles looks at both the future of place-based foods and the effects of climate change on agriculture through the lens of the Chile pepper—from the farmers who cultivate this iconic crop to the cuisines and cultural traditions in which peppers play a huge role.
5. Keeping Pet Chickens: You don't need much space to Enjoy the Bounty of Fresh Eggs from Your Own Small Flock of Happy Hens by Johannes Paul, William Windham and Joe Stahlkuppe
Keeping Pet Chickens offers essential advice, provides the basic, easy-to-follow illustrations to master every aspect of keeping and raising healthy and productive poultry. Published in 2005 this book continues to gain momentum as the urban ag movement gets bigger.
If you've got a few recommendations of your own, be sure to let us know in the comments section located below.