- This event has passed.
Statewide CAFPC Meeting, Santa Clara, CA – Sep 18 & 19, 2014
September 18, 2014 @ 10:00 am - September 19, 2014 @ 3:30 pm
MEETING DETAILS & LOGISTICS
Statewide Meeting Location 9/18 and 9/19: Sobrato Residence Hall, Main Conference Room, Santa Clara University_
Click here for Campus Map & Directions to Sobrato Hall Conference Room
Walking directions from the hotel to the conference center (12 min): https://goo.gl/maps/zXhdv
Regional Meetings, Thu, 9/18, 10am to 12noon:
NorCal and SoCal regions meet in the Sobrato Residence Hall, main conference room
Valley/Mountain Region meet at the FORGE GARDEN
If you requested hotel accommodation in the RSVP form, your reservations have been made and are under your name at:
Best Western Airport Plaza Hotel
2118 The Alameda, San Jose, CA 95126-1140_
Phone: 408/243-2400 | Fax: 408/243-5478 | _Check Out Time: 11:00 AM | Check In: 3:00 PM_
ROC has a room block for Wed 9/17 and Thu 9/18. The rooms are pre-paid for ratified members and members of the steering committee only. Non-ratified members must pay upon arrival. Breakfast is included.__
Parking for Participants staying at the Best Western Airport Plaza Hotel
The hotel offers free parking. You may park your car at the hotel in the morning of Sep 18, then check into the hotel after the meeting. The conference is within walking distance of the hotel. Directions from hotel to conference center are here: https://goo.gl/maps/zXhdv
Airport Transfers: Free Shuttle
_Take the No. 10 VTA Airport Flyer shuttle bus from the Metro Airport LRT Station (Ground Transportation center/island across from Terminal A or B of SJ airport) to the Santa Clara Transit Center/Caltrain station. The campus main entrance is across the street from the station at 500 El Camino Real. Click here for detailed instructions
Directions & Parking Info for Arrival by Car for Bay Area Participants
Please enter the campus through the main entrance at 500 Camino Real, Santa Clara. Tell the attendant at the kiosk by the main entrance that you are attending the "California Food Policy Council" meeting at Sobrato Hall. They will direct you to the closest parking lot.
San Francisco via 101 (shorter, but check traffic, 280 may be better option): https://goo.gl/maps/0n2QJ
San Francisco via 280:https://goo.gl/maps/c2oKJ
East Bay/Richmond: https://goo.gl/maps/7Ouw1
South Bay: https://goo.gl/maps/WKR0N
Cost of Meals at the Conference for Non-ratified Members and Additional Participants of Ratified Members
The cost for lunch is $15 per day (includes lunch box, drinks, coffee/tea) the banquet dinner is $60 per person (includes appetizers, main course, dessert and and an open bar with beer and wine). Please note that the statewide meeting starts with a working lunch/icebreaker at 12:15pm. Please bring a check to the meeting that covers your meals: $15 if you are only there for one lunch/day, $30 if you are there for both lunches but not attending dinner, and $90 if you are there for both lunches and dinner. The check should be made out to PHI, memo line: Roots of Change, CAFPC meeting. Thank you; we appreciate your contribution. If you have any questions, please contact Doris.
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 18
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM :: Simultaneous Regional Meetings
– SoCal Region -> Sobrato A
– NorCal Region -> Sobrato B
– Valley/Mountain Region -> Forge Garden (to be confirmed)
12:15 PM – 1:30 PM :: Lunch and Icebreaker (Forge Garden)
Rose Madden, garden manager, to give us a brief talk and tour
1:30 PM – 3:00 PM :: State of the CAFPC (Sobrato A+B)
– Report back from the regions
– Report back from the working groups (Branding, Prezi)
– Metrics – Presentation of data collected so far, analysis
– How do we get a handle on participation and evolution
3:00 PM – 4:15 PM :: Candidate Questionnaire/Forum (Sobrato A+B)
– Report on status by Justin, councils
– Best practices for councils who want to work locally
– Questionnaire by CAFPC to statewide offices, press release
4:15 PM – 4:30 PM :: break
4:30 PM – 5:30 PM :: Next Steering Committee – Elections/Timing (Sobrato A+B)
6:30 PM :: Banquet Dinner in Adobe Lodge on campus. See campus map for directions: Campus Map & Directions to Sobrato Hall Conference Room
We’d like to express our appreciation for the Bon Appétit Management Company for underwriting a portion of the banquet.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMER 19
8:30 AM – 10:15 AM :: Policy Update (Sobrato A+B)
This session is available to participate remotely. Dial-in number is 1-866-305-2467, access code 337850#
10:15 AM – 10:30 PM :: break
10:30 AM – 12:00 PM :: 2014 CAFPC Legislative Report (Sobrato A+B)
– Presentation of draft by Justin, discussion of format and content
– Vote to endorse by CAFPC for release on Food Day (Oct 24)
12:00 PM – 12:20 PM :: Lunch (Sobrato A+B)
12:20 PM – 3:30 PM :: Open Pitch Session – Ideas for Policy in 2015 (Sobrato A+B)
– Searching for common ground
– Focus on equity
– Each organization gets 8 minutes to talk about their priorities
-Q&A after each presenter
1. CA Association of Food Banks
6. CA FarmLink
9. Interfaith Sustainable Food Collaborative
12. Silicon Valley Health Trust
Wrap up: [Proposed] Detail-oriented discussion re: the CAFPC officially supporting legislation, potentially one that was just pitched?
3:30 PM Adjourn
Reimbursement of Expenses
Expenses for this meeting will be reimbursed according to the following Roots of Change guidelines:
• Steering Committee Members: Travel, accommodation and meals are covered.
• Ratified Members: Travel, accommodation and meals are reimbursed for one member per council.
• Non-ratified members and additional participants of ratified councils must pay for their own travel, accommodation and conference meals. The cost for lunch is $15 per day, the banquet dinner is $60 per person (includes appetizers, main dish, dessert and and an open bar with beer and wine). Please note that the statewide meeting starts with a working lunch/icebreaker at 12:15pm on 9/18. Please bring a check to the meeting that covers your meals: $15 if you are only there for one lunch/day, $30 if you are there for both lunches but not attending dinner, and $90 if you are there for both lunches and dinner. The check should be made out to PHI, memo line: Roots of Change, CAFPC meeting. _
Travel Expense Reimbursement Requests
Please click HERE to download the travel expense claim form. Please keep all receipts and submit reimbursement requests within 30 days of the event. Please note: if you have never received any payment from ROC/PHI, please also fill out a W-9 form and submit along with the travel expense claim. Allow about two to three weeks for processing or the claim form.
Transportation: ROC requests that you carpool when possible to reduce cost, or take the train.
· Mileage: Personal car travel will be reimbursed at $0.56 per mile (please attach Google or Mapquest maps)
· Airfare: Please travel coach class.
· Transportation from airport to hotel/conference: please take the free airport shuttle that is available to and from the airport to the Santa Clara University.
· Parking: Parking is free for hotel guests at the Best Western Airport Plaza Hotel in San Jose. Participants not staying at the hotel will be directed to a parking lot closest to the conference at the main campus entrance, at 500 Camino Real, Santa Clara. Parking on campus is free but you must tell the attendant that you are attending the CAFPC conference at Sobrato Hall.
For any questions or concerns, please contact Doris at [email protected], 510-285-5639.